12/02/13

Holiday Decorations - Over The Door Advent Calendar

 
The theme this month for The DCC group is: Holiday Decorations.
I figured it was a good time if any to make this advent calendar. Over the years I have made and used numerous types. This year I wanted something I could use all year, and not just for Christmas.
 I wanted something I could use to count down Birthdays, the last month of School and other special events. So I came up with this idea.







 I bought the over the door organizer from Target for less than $15. It has exactly 24 deep pockets made of a stiff fabric. It comes with over the door hooks but they were to thick and the door would not close. So I ditched those for two wreath hooks, a wire hanger and craft wire.
I bent the wire hanger in half and 'hung' it on the wreath hooks. Then I threaded the craft wire through the top holes of the organizer and onto the wire hanger until all was secure.
 I placed sticky back Velcro onto the pockets of the organizer.- The 'hook' part of the velcro stayed on the pockets.
I created 24 numbered ornaments and trees for the pockets using a variety of craft supplies and tools.
 To make #1, I used a Sizzix rare ornament die, Winter Glitter Snowflake and Metallic Pink Dew Drops.  I placed them together as show and added some 'soft' velcro to the back.



I made my advent decorations from a variety of papers and Dew Drops from The Robins Nest, my studio stash and rare Sizzix dies- ornaments and a tree.

I tried to be creative as possible in making the numbers.



 In the first pouch, I placed a package of red rubber bands for my sons rainbow loom.
In other pouches I added hot wheel cars, Star Wars  snowflakes I cut out and for the rest, I added the bit of tissue to make them "look" full until I found the right treat to add.
 We make it a tradition to open up one "pocket" each day after dinner, as something to look forward too.

 I purchased the thin poinsettia garland from Michaels craft Store. Two garlands were just enough to drape the sides and cover the top.

 Now we have a colorful and giving decoration!
 After the Holidays, I'll pack away the Christmas part and ready it for the first Birthday of the year, with new numbered velcro decorations for the happy count-down.  :)



Thanks for coming by, I hope I've inspired you to make something like this for your self!

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Michelle, this is an awesome idea and design! How fun! I use shoe bags in my craft closet and on the bathroom door for cosmetics. Never would have thought of this! Cute! Thanks for the great idea!

Hydrangea Hippo - Jennifer Priest said...

This is an awesome idea!!

Susan said...

So cute! And versatile!

juscrap said...

This is an awesome idea!! I love this!<3

maria soto said...

lovely and awesome idea

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...