7/19/11

How to Tie Dye with Sharpie Markers!




I recently saw this idea on Pinterest and thought I'd like to try it my self.
So I went to the Sharpie blog to get the details and just went with it.
Here is the original link.
To get started you'll need the following:
  • Plain white T-shirts, undershirts are great since thinner material seems to work best.
  • Fresh brightly colored sharpies
  • Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. 70-90% (I used 90%)
  • Eye dropper
  • Plastic dish
  • Disposable plastic drink cups
  • Rubber bands
  • Access to a dryer
  • A piece of cracker box or such, cut to the shape and size of a quarter.

This is a great craft to include your child's help, just be sure they are near a open window when using the markers.

Start by inserting the cup into the shirt and stretching the front piece over the cup, securing with a rubber band.
Then use the quarter shape card board as a starter template. The trick is to color good sized dots in a circle, expanding outwards from the center. Designs can be added with other marker colors.
Be sure to pull the shirt tight to ensure a taut coloring surface.

The circle on the right has the correct amount of dots, the one on the left, not so much.

When you have colored in all your cup surfaces, You'll want to take the shirt, with cups still attached, alcohol and eye dropper outside.
Drip a few drops of alcohol in the white center of the circle. Instantly you'll see the alcohol work its magic, spreading outwards taking the ink with it.
As the dry T-shirt absorbs the alcohol, it blends the ink. And depending on the your markers, some colors will blend better than others.


Because you are outside, the alcohol will evaporate quicker than it has time to spread the ink.
So you'll need to add more drops to ensure even flowing until you are satisfied with the color spread. Try to refrain from adding alcohol where the flow has not started, or the color will not spread correctly as the shirt needs to bone dry for any of the magic to happen.


Here I have completed 6 designs.
Now I leave them be out side for a few minutes to dry, taking the alcohol scent with the wind.
Then I undo the cups and rubber bands and replace the cups in the shirt where I have not colored. Overlapping some color is A-OK. :)

I also love how the color bleeds under the rubber bands.

When you are absolutely done and the shirt is dry to touch from being out side,take out the cups and rubber bands, then throw it in the dryer for 15-20 minutes.
This will set the colors and you'll be able to wash and wear like regular clothes.
(although I'd recommend to wash cold and hang dry)

This particular design reminds me of Jelly fish :)
Thanks for coming by, I hope to have once again inspired you.
Happy creating and comments Welcome!

14 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a fun shirt!!

zakkalife said...

Love this idea! I want to make one for myself. I've got the sharpies, now I just need to find a t-shirt.

Cindy deRosier said...

I love it! I cant' wait to try this. Thanks for the tutorial.

Susan said...

That really turned out cool, and I bet your son had fun as well...

Vic said...

Very cool! I saw there are new Sharpie fabric stains, too.

Michelle said...

This is sooo neat, I can't wait to try it with the girls!!

Karla said...

I made these with my grandkids (11, 9 & 6) and we all LOVED them. They really stayed with the project for a long time (1 hour plus), got very creative with colors, and wanted to wear them to school the next day. [I used my Michaels coupon to buy the 18 pack of Sharpies...definitely a good investment.]
Thank you for great directions and photos.

Zubair_Khan said...

Yes, these shirts are lovely.
For the gift purpose tie dye shirts are the best choice for children. Thank you for share this unique idea with us.

Unknown said...

This is really nice and fabulous shirts.Nice design with nice color.Thanks for sharing.

Chasing art said...

Is there an alternative to using alcohol rub? Can't seem to get it over here, and it's quite expensive online,

Unknown said...

My daughter and I just finished a shirt and it was so much fun! Thanks for the post!

Yurmom812 said...

We love to tie dye white pillow cases. They have so many fun ones!

Unknown said...

This is a fun craft to do on a smaller project like socks!! So cool and the MOST fun to do with kids!!

lightweight long sleeve shirt said...

Wow! Amazing this helps me a lot. Tie-dye with sharpie markers looks very awesome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...