7/20/10

A easy Up Cycled craft to hold "stuff"


We are a single income family and the money I make selling my art through my etsy shop really only pays for kicks and giggles. I love to visit flea markets and places like Ikea, but leave feeling heartbroken over the fact that I can't buy the things we need. I long to find a place where I can take a class, learning how to simply make book and storage shelves (using their tools of course) but in the mean time, I recycle what I can find. Or in this case "Up Cycle" .
During Girl Scout cookie season, I raided my neighbors recycle bins for the empty boxes. I was on a mission to make some practical storage units for Dyllan's dress up stuff.

So I used packing tape to secure all the boxes together, tearing off the cardboard I did not need. Then I used some colorful paper Dyllan's Kindergarten teacher gave me to cover the boxes. Since the paper bleeds easily, I plan to add a coat of Mod Podge to the finished piece when I'm fully done.

I took a oatmeal container that I covered for a past project and cut it a 1/4 way near the top. Then I taped it securely to the sides of the boxes to hold swords.
I plan to let Dyllan write signs as to what bin should hold. (we are still working out the details)


I should have a better mindset (of everything and be more current in posting) by the end of August.
I just got back last Saturday from a 2 week road trip with Dyllan and came home to a new refrigerator, washer/ dryer and (FINALLY) new lights above our dining table!
So our house is cluttered.
More than usual. :)
I have some new/old kitchen wares I acquired when Brian's Mom passed away late June, and now I have to sort through my current stuff to make room and see what I want to sell at a garage sale I'm hosting late August.

We are also getting ready to paint the kitchen/dining room and downstairs bathroom the 2nd week of August. On top of that I have to sort my studio as I'm selling a TON of arts and craft stuff. I hope to use the money I make from the sale for Christmas gifts.

Tomorrow (Wed. July 21) I'm taking Dyllan to the OC Fair! I can't wait as I entered two items. My 1st crazy quilt (ever!) and a hand beaded wired wrapped Faerie Tiara. I'm anxious to see how they look and and enjoy a exciting day with the little guy. :)

I'll let you know how it went, and hopefully share some exciting news with you!
Have fun with this craft and see you soon!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I think that looks great. Very inventive and practical too. way to go. Hugs Sara

fawndear said...

Up-cycling is quite the adventure. I'm very impressed. Love dreaming up free crafts to do with my kids as well.

Best wishes on your two entries.

Tootles,
FawnDear

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...