2/03/14

Faerie Gardens - Projects I Love

 This months theme for The Designer Crafts Connection group is about projects we love and with Spring soon approaching, I thought I'd share my favorite ongoing project I love...Faerie Gardens.
The tea light is used for a mini fire pit. Some items are found in Faerie Garden shops, while the post with the amber marble came from a antique flea market.The other items can be found in the doll house isle of a hobby shop.

I live in Southern California and while we are not buried in snow like the rest of the states, we have had some pretty weird weather. We had  80*+ heat waves in December and January. Now that we are in February, the temps have dipped and we are praying for rain. The erratic weather has taken a toll on my plants. But this has not stopped me from dreaming of bright bountiful flower filled pots in Spring. The perfect setting for my Faerie Garden collection.


 If you are new to this idea and have wondered where to start, then this post will be perfect for you!
I have been collecting on and off for many years. I have always been delighted by miniature items. Only recently in the last 3-4 have I started putting my collection in pots outdoors, exposing them to the "elements".  And that's a risk to take. I store most items inside when the garden has died back and the elements are harsh. Some items that are too delicate I save for indoor displays.



The sewing collection will be used for a "inside"  table top display made with fake greenery. "My Garden" was made from old blank keys and scrapbook embellishments. Some twisted wire and a button makes up for a pretty flower.

 When you buy the tin decorations, some will be rust colored, some will rust on their own. I try to touch them up with a out door sealer to prolong their life a bit.
If your item does not have a stick already, you will need to glue a long nail or screw onto the bottom.
This will help keep your decorations upright and not sink into the soil when you water.
 The silver piece on top was purchased at a barn sale while we were on vacation. It's a vintage wall scone. I glued the gem on top and envision a Mermaid figurine lounging in front while sea life swims  in a sea of succulents..
The tire was salvaged from a broken toy and will be a tire swing this summer. I'm always on the look out for Faerie doors. The little one with the bird is actually a ornament and the door swings open.
The larger one with matching windows is something I made from paper clay to resin for "indoors".

(top photo) - The lady in white and Kewpie are vintage, the Buddha is jade and has always been in my jewelry box until I realized he is the perfect size for a mini garden. I'm thinking of a bonsai / little koi pond garden for him. The gnomes were purchased recently. (bottom photo) These happy dwarfs were found at a antique flea market. I'm on the look out for a mini Snow White to make a fairy tale garden complete with a gem mine!
 I just love going to vintage flea markets and even garage sales, always on the look out for anything that will work for my Faerie Gardens.

 Sometimes I find treasures online. The tea pots and crowns are actually jewelry charms. The tea pot looks lovely on a mini table.

 The little glass mirrors make nice ponds. The geese I believe were game pieces, but I don't care.  The rooster and chick are vintage cupcake picks. The hedge hogs in a pot are my favorite, but will need to be touched up with paint before this spring. The horses are mere toys, but small enough for a little corral, don't you think? Before any of the really little animals go into the pots, I'll add a screw or little stick to them. I can't wait to have some fun with the bunnies at Easter time!

 As you can see, most anything can be used for miniature gardens. The ceramic pieces are vintage. Sometimes I fill the tub with decorative blue glass bits. Other times with a little soil and a bit of baby tears.

 The wee little cottage was purchased from a garage sale for .50
The fence and gates can be found in garden shops and even in the craft stores.

This is my collection of Flower Faeries. They come with sticks to help keep them steady or sometimes I sit them in the branches. I'll add some glitter to their wings and touch up their paint as needed since they do fade in the sun quickly. They are so darling!
 If you are not sure where to begin, start minimally. just a bench to rest your thoughts.

Add a "Prince" to help you decide :)

 I'll add some Irish moss to this pot later and make a small ranch for my horses.

 Here one of my faeries is catching "apples"! This type of bush is a favorite among people who love miniatures because it looks like a real apple tree. Its called Cotoneaster m. thymifolius.

I hope you will come back in the Spring to see the real Magic!
If you would like to participate in a Faerie Garden swap, Details can be found here and feel free to join my Face book group, Charms and Faerie Garden Miniatures!

Local places I have found "miniatures".
M & M Nursery. The original Faerie Garden Nursery! - Tustin, CA
Green Thumb Nursery in Lake Forest, CA
Plant Depot, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Dragonfly Shops and Gardens, Old Town orange, CA

See one of my past post here..."How to make a Faerie Garden".
Also, please visit my friend, Jaime's-  Faerie Gardens for some other idea's!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

these are really fun! I love tiny things!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...