I hope you are all having a wonderful time with friends and family!
Today I wanted to share a favorite cupcake recipe of mine. I originally posted it April of 2011, but I knew some of you have been asking for it, so here you go!
Approx. 50-60 mini or 24-30 standard cupcakes.
- 1/2 C sweet cream butter - room temp.
- 1 C sugar
- 1 1/2 C cake flour ( found in any generic grocery store)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 C *hot* water
If your butter will not warm to room temp. maybe its a cold rainy day and you are not yet ready to turn on the heat...you can gently nuke the butter in the microwave, just till softened.
Preheat oven 350* and set out mini cupcake lined pans.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Individually- add the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda.
- Add the flour- 1/2 C at a time until blended.
- Add *hot* water last, then blend until smooth.
|This photo shows my old oven. My new oven has a convection feature so I can utilize both racks if needed. :)|
Now for the Frosting.
You say you don't like cream cheese, but I guarantee you'll love these!
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temp.)
- 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 T heavy cream (room temp.)
- 1 T vanilla extract
Using your hand held or stand alone mixer-
Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar on low until blended.
It may be chunky- this is OK.
Add remaining ingredients one at a time.
Mix at high speed until fluffy.
Chill in fridge for a bit (1 hour) before using on cooled cupcakes.
* The secret to delicious cupcakes is a heavy hand when applying the frosting and a even heavier hand when adding the sprinkles! :)